Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Recovery is Frustrating

I wasn't really prepared for enjoying this exercise lark so much so soon, and I find myself a bit disappointed that I haven't been able to get to the gym either today or yesterday due to aching from my previous session.

I think it was the power plates that did it as it's been my arms in particular that are sore. What is strange though is that in comparison to my measurement last Friday, my upper arms have grown 1cm. Surely that's a bit soon? They do feel quite firm, though, maybe the power plates did do something. Official measurements/weigh in will be Friday, though, based on the gym's scales.

Anyway, in the absence of a gym session today I instead opted to walk to meet some friends for coffee, which involved a 1.8 mile climb up a big hill (the same hill I used to cycle up that I labelled the HILL OF DOOM or similar). It took me a little over half an hour, but apparently the walk there and back earnt me nearly 300 calories. I'm not sure I believe it, but I'm not going to complain, and I celebrated with a frappuccino (light) and an apple and cinnamon muffin.

It also saved me £3.20. I think I will try and walk to/from work next week as well, as I felt good doing it and I'm starting to see things in terms of health/fitness benefits as opposed to whatever is 'easiest'. But is it really that much easier for me to walk 10 minutes to the bus and then sit on it for 20 minutes? I'm not so sure. The only issue might be time as it takes a good half an hour to walk, but again that weighs up against waiting for a bus, sitting on the bus, and then walking home, which could take me up to 45 minutes in the past. I wonder if the walk might do anything for my cardio fitness that could translate to my running and cycling ability as well, but I quite often walk into/around town as it is. Hmm.

Anyway, tomorrow should be a gym session hopefully, and then Friday is legs, bums & tums! Next time doing my usual program I'm going to alter my abdominal routine a bit - do the medicine ball bit first, possibly drop down to 10 reps per set, then on the crunch machine, and then normal crunches, but spread throughout my workout rather than all together, to try and change how it affects my poor muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment